One of the most difficult things about a project like this is figuring out how to get it done. After all I don’t do this kind of thing for a living and neither does my father. Putting on the railings with pickets, became the hardest part of the project because we had difficulty figuring out how to make the pickets at least appear to be evenly spaced. The first section took nearly four hours to complete.
This project was also done during the hottest part of the summer, when my personnel preference is to sit inside sipping tea in the air conditioned comfort of a favored recliner. Drenched in sweat and somewhat satisfied that we had figured out how to put the railings and pickets together we called it a day, deciding to resume work two days later on my dad’s next day off. We also agreed to move the assembly part of the railings and pickets into the basement where we could continue working more comfortably.
It made a world of difference because assembling the remaining railings and pickets and putting them on the porch took less time than the first section combined.
Attaching the face boards around the bottom of the deck was the last thing we did that day.
With the porch finished, the only thing left on this project was the uninviting walk across the lawn.
to be continued.